Friday, December 2, 2011

Lighting up the holidays -- finally

I wrote in this space a year ago about my charmed life and how I didn't have to put up my own outdoor Christmas lights to enjoy the holiday season (http://imiancmillan.blogspot.com/2010/12/i-dont-need-my-own-christmas-lights-to.html). I stand by that statement . . . sort of.

Children are like water. The more they pour down on you about something the further you erode. Does that make sense? In my head it does so I hope it does in your head too.

My kids love Christmas lights. They've told me daily how we need to put up some at our house. It doesn't help I have an old strand of lights in the garage I haven't put up in years due to the fact a couple of bulbs burned out.

"Why don't you just get a new bulb and put them up Dad?"

"If you put them up before why can't you put them up now?"


What they really want to say is "Stop being such a cheap prick Dad, get in the spirit and put up some damn Christmas lights."

The other night my son Tavish was out with his Mom when they spotted a house decorated with a beautiful display of lights. Apparently Tav sat there staring at the lights in awe.

"We need to get some lights but Dad won't put them up," he told his Mom who later relayed the story on to me. Then he sighed.

Now I don't know whether Heather added the 'sigh' part just to wear me down but if she did all I have to say is "Well played." I'll go out this weekend and buy some Christmas lights.

The things I do for my kids.