Saturday, July 16, 2011

A beautiful beach towel could save me or kill me...


A beautiful beach towel, that's the focus of my daughter's summer.

She's 13-years-old and doesn't do summer camp. Actually she doesn't do much of anything but when she's doing nothing she has lots of time for stuff like filling out the Internet form for a free Cheerios beach towel. And guess what? It will arrive in six to eight weeks!

I don't know whether to be sad or happy for my daughter. But then I remember when I was her age and too cool to do anything but be bored. And let me tell you, I did bored well! I had the bored walk, the bored talk, the bored stance down to a pat. Bored never looked so good as far as I was concerned. Of course I was 13 and thought I knew everything so I could be excused for my ignorance. My daughter Rebekah though, she's too cool to believe anything I say so she sits and remains cool ... and bored.

She ordered this Cheerios towel after she'd eaten her cereal at 11 a.m. Nothing like getting  up early for breakfast, right? While she was laying on the couch being bored she noticed the ad for the free towel. She asked if she could order it and when I heard the word 'free' I was sold. So she ordered it. And I haven't stopped hearing about it ever since.

These are the thoughts of a father who's been off work for a week and spent it with his bored children. We've gone to the library, we've gone to the park, we've gone to get Slushies, we've gone on walks, we've gone swimming, we've gone to Cedar Park but all I hear about is the Cheerios towel. This towel better be all it's cracked up to be because I'm SICK of hearing about it from my more than bored daughter.

I'm heading back to work on Monday and guess what? I've never looked forward so much to work. I love my children but we need space, time, and that Cheerios towel to finally arrive. My tour of duty is coming to an end but my wife Heather's is coming up in August. I wish her luck . . . and that the towel arrives.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Feel like commenting? Go ahead, do not be shy.