Friday, December 9, 2011

I drank the crazy Christmas Kool-Aid

It's official, my house is aglow. As I mentioned in my last post, the kids wore me down so I climbed to the rooftop to light up Christmas.

There's just no denying your kids forever. Remember, they're younger than you and have more time to hound you until they get their way.

Simple, yet effective don't you think?
Once I'd strung the outdoor lights along the roof and anchored a spotlight in the front yard I stood back and had to admit it did look better than darkness. It's no Chevy Chase light display but it's a start.

The reaction from the kids was worth it too. They stood there, oohed and aahed. That's far better than  hearing them whine and complain! 

Around the neighbourhood my meager light display dims in comparison to some of the others. There are  homeowners who have their whole front yards filled with Christmas scenes. One display even has Christmas music playing while the reindeer and snowman move in time to the beat of songs like Jingle Bells. Further up on the roof the homeowner has strung lights leading to a star. It must have taken the guy a week to put up all those holiday decorations.

It's impressive the effort some of these crazy people will go to in order to spread a little Christmas cheer! But I have to admit, my kids stop dead in their tracks and admire these displays.

Now that I think about it, maybe these homeowners aren't the crazy ones, maybe it's me? It doesn't matter anymore. I drank the crazy Kool-Aid and have joined in the celebration. Bah, humbug no more.

Do you light up your house for the holidays?