Saturday, December 11, 2010

I don't need my own Christmas lights to enjoy the season


I enjoy the Christmas lights around my neighbourhood. While walking the dog I love to stop in front of some of the houses and marvel at the EFFORT some homeowners put into their displays.

Don't expect to see any of those spectacular displays at my house though. It's not that I'm anti-Christmas because I do love the holiday season. I just don't have the time or the enthusiasm to put such elaborate displays of colour all over my house.

My neighbour though, who commutes to and from Toronto each and every work day, has very beautiful white lights up so what's my excuse? I really don't have one. I'm just a fair weather holiday-goer. Guilty as charged.

Every neighbourhood needs somebody like me. Could you imagine all the homes in your neigbbourhood looking like the Griswold family homestead? That just wouldn't be cool. It would also give our Premier Dalton McGuinty a mild stroke as energy usage would spike like nobody's business and he would regret taking his coal fired plants off-line before getting anything else in place to fill our energy needs. Not a very bright idea, I know!

That's not to say there isn't some hope one day I won't be a regular Clark Griswald. My father, who's been retired for a few years now, puts up a beautiful display of lights. They far outshine the lights he used to display when I was 12. What's my 12-year-old daughter supposed to think though at her father's completely dark house? I'm hoping she'll be pre-disposed to grandpa's lights and won't remember my dark display of the holiday spirit.

Inside our house we do not lack for light. Two Christmas trees are alight in colour. I've also got some reindeer display near the front entrance that's all a glitter with twinkle lights. From the outside it may seem like a dark Christmas but inside we're just like most families.

That said, I do like a good light display. Can't wait to walk the dog around the neighbourhood tonight.

1 comment:

  1. I just read this! A little late but I really enjoyed it, and I agree. People who put up all those lights are definitely crazy haha... nothing wrong with a little balance from the dark side.

    ReplyDelete

Feel like commenting? Go ahead, do not be shy.