Saturday, October 16, 2010

What's on your bucket list?



My wife Heather is very cautious with her credit card. She rarely uses it without asking me the same question -- "can we afford it?"

But a few months ago Heather used the card without hesitation to buy tickets to see the Dalai Lama at the Air Canada Centre. He's going to be in Toronto on Oct. 22. Tickets purchased online she called me with the good news.

"I got us tickets to the Dalai Lama," she said.

"You got us tickets to who?" I asked.

"The Dalai Lama," she repeated excitedly. "He's on my bucket list."

Heather studied philosophy and religion in university and is probably the only person I know who has a Bible that looks like a well worn textbook. Using a highlighter on the pages of the Good Book just doesn't look right to me! She knows her religion and likewise she knows way more than I'll ever know about the Dalai Lama.

What caught me off guard though about her mention of the Dalai Lama was her bucket list reference. I had no idea seeing him speak was on Heather's list of things to do before she dies. A visit to Israel, I knew about, but not the Dalai Lama.

It got me to thinking, what's on my bucket list? To be honest, I've never really considered a bucket list but if there was one thing I'd like to see happen it would be to have one of my completed books published before I die. Right now the finished stuff is children's material. Seeing it published would be a rush. But the novel I'm working on would be the absolute topper. The trick at this point is finishing it in the limited time I have while juggling career and kids.

I'm going to give this bucket list thing more thought because most people have  more than one thing on their 'to do' list before they die. See the Leafs win a Stanley Cup? That would be nice but I have no control over whether this current four-game winning streak they're on ever turns into a playoff run.

If anyone who reads this has any bucket list suggestions I'd like to hear them. In the meantime I'm getting ready to see the Dalai. Lama next Friday. It should be interesting.

3 comments:

  1. My guess Ian, is that after you hear the Dalai Lama speak, you may find making that bucket list easier. (though somehow I think it might make your list way longer!)

    Your wife gave you a wonderful gift...even though you might not know it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has inspired me Ian! I've always wanted a bucket and I'm not waiting any longer. Off to the hardware store this weeekend. Now, plastic or stainless steel?????

    ReplyDelete
  3. revive the Spud-mobile... could be your kids' first car in a few years!

    ReplyDelete

Feel like commenting? Go ahead, do not be shy.