Thursday, October 21, 2010

Up close and personal with Chantal Kreviazuk

My wife Heather has always been a huge Chantal Kreviazuk fan and through her I also came to know and love her music. This shared appreciation has taken us to see her in concert many times over the years but last night we got up close and personal with Kreviazuk at the Imagine Film Festival at Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Services.

Kreviazuk was the festival's special guest and she shared her family's connection with mental health, namely bipolar disorder with about 250 people in the small lecture theatre at Ontario Shores. It was a powerful, raw discussion meant to address the stigma attached to mental health issues and for me it was a real eye opener.

For years I've enjoyed Kreviazuk's music but I had no idea where the inspiration came from for her songs. She talked about her connection with bipolar disorder and how she's been able to incorporate that into the lyrics of many of her songs. It has given me a greater appreciation for the singer-songwriter. When she performed Surrounded it was like hearing the song for the first time again but enjoying it even more.

 Afterwards there was a reception for the guests assembled and Kreviazuk came out and spoke to us. I've seen her on stage, I've seen her on TV but seeing her standing right in front of me was a first. She was completely relaxed and at ease with everyone. To her this must have been just another event like so many before where she's been the special guest but for those assembled it was a chance to meet a Canadian celebrity. Kreviazuk connected so well with everyone. I think it had a lot to do with the common interest we all shared in mental health issues. Kudos to Ontario Shores for making it happen.

Like I said before, I've been a fan of her now for many years but I only knew Kreviazuk as the beautiful singer I've seen on stage with the amazing voice. I now have a completely new appreciation for her and her music.

1 comment:

  1. I love her music too! One time I had won tickets to see her in concert and my car broke down in rush hour traffic on the way there :( I was heart broken.

    Amazing that she's willing to talk about her connection with mental health issues. There is such a stigma attached to these types of illnesses.

    ReplyDelete

Feel like commenting? Go ahead, do not be shy.