Saturday, October 9, 2010

I am the Furnace Nazi

Everyone has a season they love and for me fall is that season. It's the time of year when heat and humidity no longer dictate whether you go outside, a season where you can breathe easy, especially if you suffer from allergies or asthma (something that runs in my family).


I welcome Sept. 21 with open arms and once October hits I'm one of the happiest guys around. I love this month.

Despite my affection for fall my family has a slightly different view of the season. The cooler nighttime temperatures bring with them an unhealthy urge to touch the thermostat. I do not have that urge but every other member of the McMillan clan does. To them I say, "No heat for you!"

Yes, I admit it, I am the 'Furnace Nazi'.

For those of you familiar with the television show Seinfeld, you'll remember the Soup Nazi. He made the best soup in New York but if you didn't ask for it just right he'd deny you the soup. It was a hilarious episode and it made actor Larry Thomas a household name. "No soup for you!"

Ian McMillan is the Furnace Nazi

While the Soup Nazi denies soup, the Furnace Nazi denies heat. If you're cold in my house put on a sweater and throw another blanket on your bed. I firmly believe no furnace should be turned on until November just like I do not believe Christmas merchandise should be displayed in stores until after Remembrance Day. It's just not right.

Am I the most popular person in my household right now? No. But I am who I am and who I am is the guy who pays the heating bill. And if I stop paying that bill it will certainly get a bit chillier in here than it is right now.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel like commenting? Go ahead, do not be shy.