Monday, September 5, 2011

Ribfest secrets, it's all in the sauce

Hmmm ribs. Can't wait.
One of my fondest 'food' memories of childhood is of my Grandma McAskill's spareribs in sauce. I don't know where she got her sauce recipe but I do know when I walked into her home at 123 McLaughlin Blvd. and smelled her ribs cooking I was in heaven. Her ribs were wonderful.

Her special sauce recipe was handed down to her daughter, my mother Barbara McMillan. Guess who got his hands on that recipe? Yep, yours truly. Over the years I recreated Grandma's recipe and although it always tasted wonderful, it's just never the same without Grandma and Grandpa there to share it with. But I digress.

I have become somewhat of an expert on ribs over the years. As a member of the media I have been asked to judge ribs at a variety of Ribfests across the Greater Toronto Area. I have participated in Etobicoke, Scarborough and for the past seven years in Oshawa at all the Rotary Ribfests. Those ribbers put on quite the feast. Words cannot do justice to the different recipe of ribs they've served me over the years. Mouth watering, delicious, each and every one of them.

The origins of my fascination with ribs though has to go back to Grandma and her famous ribs and sauce. If you ever talk to a ribber at one of the Rotary Ribfests and ask them for their secret it always boils down to their sauce. Plus if they ever told me anything they'd have to kill me. So the fact that I'm still alive means not one of them has ever given me a hint of what makes their ribs so damn good. Those ribbers, they're a secretive bunch!

Last summer I decided to have a ribfest of my own and Grandma's sauce was my secret ingredient. I'd tell you how I prepared my ribs but in true ribber fashion my sauce, like the millions of other rib sauce recipes out there, will remain a secret. Needless to say the ribs were amazing and this Saturday I'm hosting my second annual Ribfest. It will be amazing.

Ironically the following day I am judging Oshawa's Rotary Ribfest again for my seventh year in a row. It will be a carnivor's dream weekend!

Grandma left me with many fond memories but she only left me with one recipe. And it's a keeper.