Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Keeping Christmas secrets not easy

I know Santa Claus isn't real. That became abundantly clear when I was 12 and my mother turned to me while we were driving in the car and said as much. I remember suspecting he wasn't the real deal but I needed somebody I trusted to confirm it.

My oldest daughter Rebekah is now 12 and my wife Heather broke the news to her last year. I suspect Rebekah didn't need Heather to confirm Santa Claus' existence for her because if you've ever met my daughter then you'll realize that she knows everything!



So one daughter knows the truth while her younger brother and sister do not. Considering they are eight and four years old that's the way I would prefer to keep it right now. But it's difficult to maintain this Christmas secret when television shows aired in prime time keep letting the truth slip out. Tonight for example, Glee, a popular television show all my children watch, all but screamed "Santa Claus is a hoax, your parents have been lying to you your whole lives!" One character in the show still believed in the big guy and her Glee friends did everything they could to make sure she continued to think Santa was real.

I would have no problem with this show if it aired at 9:30 or 10 p.m. but it started at 8 p.m. and all my kids enjoy watching it on a weekly basis. Why then would the television networks air this content at such an early hour? Give me a break.

Believing in Santa Claus adds an element of excitement and suspense to the Christmas season for children. They're careful to be good in anticipation of a big payoff on Dec. 25. And let's face facts, parents around the world take full advantage of the season getting their children to be good and behave "or Santa won't bring you anything for Christmas." 
I'm disappointed in Glee's Christmas episode. I wanted to keep at least two of my children young at heart for a little while longer. Lord knows they grow up quick enough as it is.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more, Ian. My two kids and I were watching Glee and my youngest (age 6) was wondering what was going on. She asked me, "Mommy, you wouldn't eat the cookies and milk, would you?" Her older brother, who is almost 9 has already expressed some doubts about Santa's existence, but so far I've been able to avoid confirming the truth. I ended up turning off the television before the episode ended just to avoid any further questions.

    ReplyDelete

Feel like commenting? Go ahead, do not be shy.