Saturday, October 15, 2011

Never let self doubt hold you back from achieving your dreams

Walter G. Pitman, past president of Ryerson University, met with Heather McMillan
prior to the start of the Leaders in Learning ceremony held on Oct. 13. Heather received the
Walter G. Pitman Award for academic excellence in continuing education
and outstanding contributions to the Ryerson University community.

Three years ago my wife Heather began to fulfill her dream of going back to university. She applied and was accepted at Ryerson University to study public administration on a part-time basis.

I realize for most of us a bucket list item wouldn't be to go BACK to school but to accomplish something a little more exciting. But for Heather going back to the classroom was what did it for her. Give her a textbook and an assignment and she's in her happy place!

After the first course her professor approached her to apply for a scholarship. Heather came back home and was over the moon. I was proud of her and also encouraged her to fill out the scholarship application. Days turned into weeks and every time I asked her if she'd finished filling out the scholarship application Heather always had an excuse. I could tell I was not endearing myself to her with my constant questions (it's the reporter in me) so I shut up. The deadline came and went and she never filled it out.

Why is it so easy to make decisions for other people but difficult to make them for ourselves? I knew from the day I met Heather that she was destined to do great things with her life and she has proven me right every step of the way. The biggest obstacle she has consistently run into is her own self doubt. She's afraid of failure. We've all fallen short of expectations at some points in our lives but it's what we learn from our failures that helps us become successful later.

The next year I brought the subject up again.

"I could but my grade point average needs to be higher," was the excuse I got.

My wife is a lot of things but a good liar she is not. I saw the self doubt in her eyes, I read it in her body language. She wasn't comfortable applying so again I didn't push her.

Heather finished her third course this year and again she was encouraged by her professor to apply for a scholarship. I was surprised and happy when she actually filled it out and submitted it. If you fulfill every requirement of the scholarship there's a good chance your application will get a second look by the university.

Well not only did Heather's scholarship application get a second look but she got notice a few weeks ago that she would be this year's recipient of the Walter G. Pitman Award. Next semester's course wouldn't cost her a dime!

"I'm not an academic," Heather told me.

"You're a university student who has just been awarded a scholarship. What else would you call it?" I'd asked.

When you're right, you're right. Heather didn't mention it again.

We travelled into Toronto together on Thursday night to attend the Leaders in Learning 2011 ceremony held at Ryerson. She was nervous and I could see the self doubt creeping back into her mind. Then we met Walter Pitman, the former president of Ryerson University from 1975 to 1980. He was thrilled to meet Heather as she was him. They spoke at length about continuing education and its importance.

I could see while they spoke Heather become more comfortable. Later when the two met on stage for the awards ceremony Heather was even more at ease. She was surrounded by her peers, all of them academics.

Never let self doubt get in the way of achieving your dreams. It's an ugly human condition many of us suffer from and it holds us back.

I am hopeful Heather is now as confident in her abilities as I have always been. She may not be comfortable calling herself an academic but her actions and her grades tell a different story.

She did good. I'm proud of her.