Friday, July 29, 2011

Cheerios at the beach

Rebekah and her new beach towel. Makes you think of breakfast, don't you think?
I got a call the other day at work. It was my daughter Rebekah.

"Dad it came, I can't believe it," she said.

"What came?"

"It's beautiful Dad, you should see it and it's got cereal all over it."

At this point I'm thinking, "What have you spilled now? Gawd, why didn't I send you to summer camp?"

"My towel Dad, the towel I ordered from Cheerios," Rebekah said.

Ah, the towel that was going to save me or kill me while I was off work a few weeks ago. I'd almost forgot about the minute-by-minute updates Rebekah was giving me in her excitement when she ordered it for free. Did you hear that, she ordered it for free?!?

Why is it the women in my life always describe purchases by the amount of money they didn't have to spend to acquire them?

"Look at this Dad, it was $19.99 so I saved $10," is a common phrase Rebekah uses with me. Her Mom, my wife often does the same. They probably do this because they know I'm a cheap bastard. I don't want for much, I don't need much and as a result I don't buy much. I'm a capitalist's worst nightmare!

So when I saw how nice this Cheerios towel was I had to give Rebekah credit for filling out the form and getting it ordered. She was warned delivery could take six to eight weeks but it came in under two weeks giving Rebekah lots of time to use it this summer. Best of all, it came with a coupon, $1 off a box of Cheerios. Rebekah can have the towel, give me, the cheap bastard, the coupon!

Cheerios, the cereal never tasted so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel like commenting? Go ahead, do not be shy.