Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Imagination is a powerful thing

You have to hand it to George Lucas, he's fostered the imaginations of children for decades through his Star Wars franchise.

I'm listening to my son Tavish right now. He's in the living room having a lightsaber battle with an imaginary foe, possibly Count Dooku or General Grievious. Judging by the sound of it the duel's going back and forth. He's bounced off a number of couch cushions and has slid across the coffee table.

It wasn't long ago I was that boy but back then there weren't half the opponents to do battle with. You were either Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader. These days Lucas's Star Wars The Clone Wars spin off  has introduced countless new characters through its movies and weekly television episodes. Tavish is downstairs now doing battle with one of those  new characters. I hope he wins.

I thought I knew everything there was about Star Wars but my knowledge pales in comparison to my son's. Every day he talks to me about The Clone Wars, its characters and when he isn't talking Star Wars he's drawing it. Tavish loves to draw and colour scenes from past episodes or ones he has dreamed up. It's wonderful to witness.

When he's not drawing scenes from the Star Wars or battling an imaginary evil foe Tavish focuses his attention on real battles with me, Darth Daddy. Tav received lightsabers for Christmas from Santa. We broke one the other day having a battle in the living room. Thank goodness he has four others to use. I have to admit I'm getting pretty good with the lightsaber. Yoda would be impressed except for the fact that I'm never allowed to be a Jedi. I'm always made to be somebody on the Dark Side!

I'm 43 years old and I think Star Wars is pretty cool but how it inspires my son's imagination is awesome. I'm sure there's millions of 9 year old boys across the world having lightsaber battles of their own. To that I say, good on George Lucas.

Imagination is a terrible thing to waste. I hope my son holds onto his forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel like commenting? Go ahead, do not be shy.