Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Making softball memories

When I was a kid summers meant ball season. I loved playing softball and took every opportunity to throw the ball around. The person who always played catch with me was my Dad.

I must have drove my father nuts with my constant requests to "play a catch". I would wait for Dad to come home from work and before he had changed out of his work clothes I'd ask him to throw the ball around outside. He rarely said no although I know most days he wanted to spend just a few minutes decompressing his day with my Mom. Together we nearly wore holes in the front yard where we'd play catch.

When you're young the world is all about you. I was no different than any other young person then or now (despite the fact I cannot technically be classified 'young' anymore!). Deep down I knew I was pushing my luck asking Dad to go outside twice a night, seven days a week, sometimes more on the weekends. But playing ball was my life and I wanted to embrace it at every opportunity.

Fast-forward to present day. I have a son Tavish and he enjoys softball just as much as I used to growing up. Now, instead of asking the question, "Want to play catch?" I am being asked, "Want to play catch?" And just like my father never saying no, neither have I.

I have a many reasons for picking up the glove and going outside to play a catch. Foremost, I love my son and the fact he wants me to play with him more than anyone else fills my heart with joy. I also must confess to being an old kid who still loves to play softball. Hearing the snap of a ball hitting the sweet spot in your glove is a rush. So is the sound of a bat making solid contact with a pitch.

There's another reason why I go outside whenever Tavish asks me to. It's what my Dad taught me. I think I loved playing softball so much because he was playing it with me. The love of the game was my love for him.

I had a memorable childhood on many of the ball fields in Oshawa. I hope my son has just as many of these memories to reflect on when he grows up. Who knows, maybe he'll have a son who asks him, "Want to play a catch Dad?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel like commenting? Go ahead, do not be shy.